Director & Founder of CSBD
Krisha Jilson- Naduvathucherry
Krisha commenced dancing at the age of 6, learning the classical Indian dance style known as Bharatha Natyam. Since immigrating to Australia at the age of 15, Krisha has continued her love affair with dance. Whilst studying in the Northern Territory she organized the first International Extravaganza function held at the NT University. The function was a huge success and it was here that Krisha discovered that Australians value different cultures, and from that day she knew she wanted to share her love of music and dancing with as many people as possible.
A computer programmer by profession, Krisha says dancing has always been her passion. She loves teaching dance. Krisha believes that the beauty of Bollywood dance is that anyone, no matter how old and regardless of dance experience can learn this style. Mrs.Jilson has been teaching Bollywood for 15 years before she established her first school in Tuggeranong (Canberra,Australia) in 2006. She has organised and performed at many events with involved captivating choreography with a combination of both classical and modern Bollywood art styles.
Krisha is determined to introduce as many Canberrans as possible to the fun of Bollywood dancing. She wants the students to enjoy their dance experience and go home with a smile on their face. Her school has proved so popular that classes are now conducted at 7 major locations around Canberra in professional dance studios, catering for adults and children.
The school is proud to provide opportunities to students by involving them in entertainment related projects ranging from taking part in Bollywood pop videos right through to participating in high calibre stage shows, opening ceremonies, fashion shows, media launches, fundraising events and Indian festivals. And of course not forgetting the schools highly acclaimed annual productions which have always been a sell-out event.
Some facts about CSBD:
- We were the first bollywood school to dance inside an International Qantas plane – Bollywood inside Qantas – https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=NyrOOCx1bcM
- We had another feather in our cap and a dream come true, when the troupe members were invited to Papua new guinea (PNG) for their 1st international performance.
- Recently CSBD also performed at the Parliament House, Australian national museum, Raiders Game at GIO stadium and at local bollywood movie called Salt Bridge.
- For our entertainment service to Canberra, our school was selected in the 2013 Australian Capital Territory Centenary Multicultural Award finalist.
- The director of the school, was also awarded Australian of the day in 2016 for her community service thru the school. https://www.commbank.com.au/australianoftheday/krisha-jilson.html
Article on Canberra Times about CSBD – http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-life/canberra-school-of-bollywood-dancing-celebrates-10-years-20160113-gm4yf8.html
Some of our past performances
- 2007 & 2008 Kanga Cup Opening Ceremony at Australian Institute of Sports (AIS) arena ( for an audience of about 5000 – Kanga Cup is Australia’s oldest and biggest youth football tournament )
- 2008 National Student Forum Conference dinner get together
- 2008 Women’s Day Awards Function celebration
- 2007 – 2015 – Australian National University (ANU) Bollywood nights and student dance nights
- 2007 – 2015 – Australian National University (ANU) lifestyle progra
- 2007 – 2015 – Indian and multicultural festivals across Canberra
- 2007 –2015- India Australia Association Of Canberra ( Indian Independence day, Indian festivals)
- 2008 – 2015 – ACT high school dance moderation day instructor
- 2013 – Australian Capital Territory Centenary Multicultural Award finalist
- 2015 – Bollywood movie dance shoot in Canberra
- 2016 – International Performance at Papua New Gunine
- 2017- Raiders Vs NewZealand Warriors Rugby Match half time entertainment performance at GIO stadium
- ACT school dance programs – Guest teacher
- Welcome dinner for the Indian National Hockey team organised by the Indian High Commission.
- Charity fundraising gala balls ( Heartkids, Kids with Cancer Foundation, Spirit of Wipro Run 2015, Fundraiser Dinner for Orphanage -Sri Lanka, etc)
- Corporate Dinner Dance Balls ( Defence Ball, Canberra Area Officers’ Mess 2015 Spring Ball, DFAT Australia Awards End of Year Celebration )
- Bollywood workshops in Canberra, Sydney, Liverpool, Wollongong
- Media Launches
- WIN TV News – About bollywood in Canberra
- ABC radio, ABC News and SBS TV
- Australia Vs India Cricket pre match entertainment at Manuka Oval